Joan End in the Sunset Spotlight. Joan will play the role of Aida Gianelli in the Furlan Auditorium Production of OVER THE RIVER AND THROUGH THE WOODS our the 2017-18 season opening production.
- When did you first become involved at Sunset Playhouse and what areas have you been involved with here at the Playhouse?
In 2008 I saw that Sunset was holding auditions for IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE, which is our family’s favorite Christmas movie. I was cast as Miss Carter, the bank examiner, and totally enjoyed spreading the Christmas Spirit that year.
- If you are working on a Sunset show right now, what is your role?
I am Aida Gianelli in OVER THE RIVER AND THROUGH THE WOODS.
- If an actor, what has been your favorite role to date and what is your dream role?
I have so many favorite roles, so it hard for me to pick just one. I love to make people laugh, so all my favorites have a serious and funny side. High on my list would be Lucille in CEMETERY CLUB for lots of reasons. I would also list Betty in THE FOREIGNER, FRANCES in RX, Kay in LITTLE GEM, and Clairee in STEEL MAGNOLIAS. I could go on…..
I don’t really have a dream role, but I do wish that there would be more plays produced for a mature woman and not just as the little old lady!!!
- What do you enjoy most about the Sunset?
I am constantly amazed with how professional this non-professional theatre is! All the volunteers are so talented and willing to share those talents. Costumers, set builders, props people, lighting technicians, and stage managers combine their efforts with the director and cast and create the show you see. They all deserve your applause. I have also met wonderful people at Sunset and many have become good friends.
- When not at Sunset, how do you spend your time?
I try to keep track of our four adult children and our 8 grandkids. I spend a good amount of time in the audience at plays, reading plays, and learning lines. My husband and I are huge Marquette Basketball fans and we love to travel.
- What is your favorite color/food/movie/TV show/book/musical or play?
Favorite color- Can’t decide between yellow or orange.
Food- Anything chocolate
Movie- Ever since I was a kid I loved Arsenic and Old Lace with Cary Grant.
Hooked on the TV show Shark Tank
Read Glass Castle on the beach and could not put it down.
Have seen the musical LES MISERABLES at least 8 times and would see it again.
- What is your favorite quote?
- “ God never closes one door without opening another.”
- Any other comments?
- There is nothing quite like live theatre. Thank you for supporting it and please keep coming.