Laura Monagle, who is currently playing Donna Sheridan in MAMMA MIA! and performed in our Musical MainStage Concert: BARRY & BETTE: Looks Like We Made It, now in the Sunset Spotlight.
- When did you first become involved at Sunset Playhouse and what areas have you been involved with here at the Playhouse?
My first show at Sunset was ANYTHING GOES in 1991. Since then, I’ve been lucky to participate in several mainstage shows (including INTO THE WOODS with our intrepid MAMMA MIA director Nate Groonwald), the Side Notes series with the dynamic Peggy Peterson Ryan, and the Musical Mainstage series with the lovely and talented Susan Loveridge.
- If you are working on a Sunset show right now, what is your role?
I am playing Donna Sheridan in MAMMA MIA.
- If an actor, what has been your favorite role to date and what is your dream role? If a Production Team member, which show have you most enjoyed working on? What show would you like to do in the future?
I’ve been fortunate to play some of my dream roles: Eva Peron (EVITA), Kate (TAMING OF THE SHREW), Diana Goodman (NEXT TO NORMAL), Cathy Hiatt (LAST FIVE YEARS), Sally Bowles (CABARET). Still on the dream list: Lady Macbeth, Blanche DuBois, Norma Desmond, Mrs. Lovett, the moms in DEAR EVAN HANSEN and FUN HOME…I’ll stop there since it’s kind of a never-ending list.
- What do you enjoy most about the Sunset?
I love the people throughout the entire building every day, or on any given day, who dedicate themselves to keeping the Sunset a premiere place for theatre in the region. The audiences are fantastic, and I also have Sunset to thank for some of the best friends I have – who I might never have met otherwise.
- When not at Sunset, how do you spend your time?
Running around with my two teenagers and their busy schedules, working full time at an advertising/marketing agency, squeezing in a date night with my husband, a fish fry with my mom, and any other time I can beg, borrow and steal for all of my family and friends.
- What is your favorite color/food/movie/TV show/book/musical or play?
Food: Mac n’ cheese
Movie: The Wizard of Oz
TV Show: The Office and Mad Men
Book: To Kill A Mockingbird
Musical: Anything by Stephen Sondheim
Play: Anything by Shakespeare
Head Shot thanks to Wimmer Photography, 736 N. 109 Street, Wauwatosa, WI 53226