Tim Gensler, currently playing Frank Kosinski in the community theater world premiere of DAD’S SEASON TICKETS, now in the Sunset Spotlight.
- When did you first become involved at Sunset Playhouse and what areas have you been involved with here at the Playhouse?
IN SUMMER 1978, A FRIEND BROUGHT ME TO AUDITIONS, AND I WAS CAST IN “OKLAHOMA”, AND I FEEL LIKE I HAVE NEVER LEFT! OVER THE YEARS, I HAVE PERFORMED IN NUMEROUS SHOWS (MUSICALS, COMEDIES, CHILDREN’S SHOWS) HAVE STAGE MANAGED A NUMBER OF SHOWS, WORKED PROPS A COUPLE TIMES, AND HAVE ALSO RUN THE LIGHT BOARD FOR MANY SHOWS. ON THE ADMINISTRATIVE SIDE, I HAVE BEEN A BOOKEEPER FOR THE THEATER, I HAVE SERVED AS A BOARD MEMBER, AM CURRENTLY ON THE FINANCE COMMITTEE, HAVE DONE SEVERAL CAST DINNERS WHEN WE REGULARLY HAD 2 SATURDAY EVENING SHOWS, AND IN RECENT YEARS I HAVE BEEN PART OF THE VOLUNTEER APPRECIATION NIGHT COMMITTEE AND HAVE PREPARED AND SERVED THE MEALS AND APPETIZERS FOR THOSE EVENINGS.
- If you are working on a Sunset show right now, what is your role? YES, CURRENTLY I AM PLAYING THE PART OF FRANK KOSINSKI, THE DAD IN “DAD’S SEASON TICKETS”
- If an actor, what has been your favorite role to date and what is your dream role? If a Production Team member, which show have you most enjoyed working on? What show would you like to do in the future?
AS AN ACTOR, I HAVE 2 FAVORITE ROLES: AS JOHN SMITH, THE TAXI DRIVER IN “RUN FOR YOUR WIFE” IN 1989 OR 1990, AND MARVIN IN “GUYS ON ICE” IN 2011. MY 2 FAVORITE SHOWS AS A STAGE MANAGER WERE “ON GOLDEN POND” IN 2014 AND “ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO’S NEST” IN 2015.
- What do you enjoy most about the Sunset?
OVER THE YEARS, IT’S BEEN MEETING AND WORKING WITH SO MANY WONDERFUL PEOPLE, AND THE WELCOMING AND FAMILY TYPE ATMOSPHERE THAT HAS ALWAYS MADE ME WANT TO COME BACK.
- When not at Sunset, how do you spend your time?
NOW THAT WE ARE RETIRED, MY WIFE AND I LOVE TO TRAVEL. WHEN NOT DOING THAT, I LOVE TO FIX JIGSAW PUZZLES OR READ A GOOD BOOK, AND, WHILE I AM NOT A CHEF BY ANY MEANS, I DO ENJOY COOKING. I AM A REGULAR VOLUNTEER AT MY CHURCH, AS A CANTOR AND A FINANCE COMMITTEE MEMBER.
- What is your favorite color/food/movie/TV show/book/musical or play?
COLOR: BLUE; FOOD: LASAGNA FROM BARBIERE’S; MOVIE: THE GODFATHER; TV SHOW: NO REAL FAVORITES; BOOK: MOST DETECTIVE OR LEGAL FICTION NOVELS, ROBERT DUGONI AND DAVID ROSENFELT ARE TWO OF MY FAVORITE AUTHORS; MUSICAL OR PLAY: “HAMILTON” AND “TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD”
- What is your favorite quote?
TRUST, BUT VERIFY!
- Any other comments?
MAKE VOLUNTEERING A PASSION IN YOUR LIFE, SUNSET PLAYHOUSE IS A GREAT PLACE TO START.